Greenville, S.C. — Smith Moore Leatherwood LLP will be the first company settled in its corporate offices in Phase II of the ONE development when it moves its approximately 80 Greenville attorneys and staff to the new space this weekend. The law firm's offices on the corner of Washington and Main Streets will be open for business starting on January 21.
"Because our workspace in ONE was custom-designed for the needs of our firm, we were able to maximize our use of the space and we will be more efficient in how we work and where we work," said Tod Hyche, Partner in Charge of Smith Moore Leatherwood's Greenville office. "We look forward to returning to our roots that were established on Main Street in 1945. Our firm's strong 69-year history in Greenville proves our commitment to our city, our community and our clients."
Smith Moore Leatherwood will utilize over 34,000 square feet on the top two floors of Phase II of ONE, occupying all of floor 11 and most of floor 10. The ONE development is targeting LEED® Gold certification, the achievement of which will make the Greenville office the third of the firm's seven offices to be housed in a LEED® certified building, seamlessly connecting with the firm-wide sustainability initiative. The firm will enjoy environmentally friendly features of the building such as high efficiency HVAC, lights and other fixtures; a sun study completed to determine types of glass to cut down on solar gain; and solar panels.
Firm's History in Greenville
- 1945 – Wesley M. Walker joined D.B. Leatherwood to establish the firm Leatherwood & Walker. The offices were located on the ground floor of the Poinsett Hotel on South Main Street.
- 1948 – Fletcher C. Mann joined the firm and it became Leatherwood, Walker & Mann.
- 1950 – The firm moved to the Stokes Building on East Coffee Street, adding several attorneys to the firm over the years.
- 1952 – J.D. Todd, Jr. joined the firm in 1952 and it became Leatherwood, Walker, Todd & Mann. Firm moved to 300 East Coffee Street.
- 1967 – Several attorneys joined the firm and the front portion of the Coffee Street building was built to accommodate the firm's growth.
- 1972 – The firm added on to the Coffee Street building. This was followed by the purchase of the Diran Building, which became known as the Walker Building.
- 1978 – As the growth of the firm continued, the nearby Efstration Building was purchased.
- 1979 – The firm began construction of a connection building between the Walker Building and the Efstration Building.
- 1986-1987 – The firm purchased the former American Federal Building at 100 East Coffee Street, completely renovated it, and moved to its new Coffee Street address in July 1987.
- 2002 – The firm again followed American Federal Bank (now SunTrust) by relocating to their present location at the corner of East McBee and Spring Streets.
- 2008 – Leatherwood, Walker, Todd & Mann combined with North Carolina and Georgia law firm Smith Moore to create Smith Moore Leatherwood. The firm encompassed six offices across Georgia, North Carolina and South Carolina.
- 2011 – The firm opened its Charleston office for a total of seven offices.
- 2014 – The firm moved to its Greenville location in Phase II of the ONE project at the corner of Main and Washington Streets.
For more information, contact:
Liz Goodin ( email@example.com)