Smith Moore Leatherwood attorneys have extensive experience representing media clients, individuals and businesses with all types of First Amendment issues. We represent local newspapers and television stations as well as national media outlets. Our lawyers also work with organizations and individuals on all aspects of free speech and privacy matters.
Our media lawyers are committed to providing prompt, responsive advice and assistance when legal questions arise, whether at the courthouse or on deadline. Smith Moore Leatherwood represents clients across the spectrum of First Amendment activities, including:
- Defamation (libel and slander)
- Privacy matters
- Access to courtrooms and court documents
- Access to public records and information (Freedom of Information and North Carolina Public Records laws)
- Prior restraints on publication, broadcast, or speech
- Prepublication review of news items, editorials and advertisements
- Subpoenas to reporters and newsrooms
- Protection of source material and contempt of court orders
- Issues under the North Carolina Open Meetings law
Our intellectual property experience also includes extensive counseling in the electronic distribution, Internet, and information technology areas.
We are ready to assist news organizations, media entities, businesses, organizations and individuals with any First Amendment or media issues that may arise.