Smith Moore Leatherwood's core values – excellence, teamwork, collegiality and balance – are deeply enmeshed in our commitment to a workplace that honors individuality as a critical ingredient in what our lawyers and professional staff can accomplish together. We believe that the respect we foster for each other creates an atmosphere in which our differences in backgrounds, experiences and viewpoints make us better colleagues and stronger advocates for our clients.
We value and implement equal opportunity and non-discriminatory practices in hiring, and also in how we treat each other in our daily work environments. This concept extends to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, ethnicity, sex, age and sexual orientation, as well as any other personal characteristic.
The goals of our Diversity Plan are:
- To recruit and retain lawyers and staff so that our work force is as diverse as the world in which we live.
- To promote an inclusive environment where attorneys and staff have equal opportunities to learn, grow, develop and succeed on a long-term basis.
- To encourage our attorneys and staff to engage in community, civic and professional activities that focus on addressing and remedying disparities resulting from racial, cultural or social differences.
- To provide opportunities for professional growth and development for all attorneys and staff, consistent with individual talents, interests, and needs.
- To increase awareness of and sensitivity to the differences among attorneys and staff within the firm, so that the firm's core values are strengthened.