Smith Moore Leatherwood LLP, a highly respected, seven-office southeast regional law firm, seeks a Business Development Manager to work closely with the Marketing & Business Development Department Manager, Chair of the Marketing Committee, practice groups, industry and client teams, offices, and marketing team to plan and manage the firm's business development efforts.
Working with marketing department team members, attorneys and staff around the firm, the position requires a strategic individual who can help identify opportunities and marshal the resources and enthusiasm to pursue the opportunities in a manner that results in the greatest ROI. The position can be based out of Charlotte, NC or Greenville, SC.
- Work with assigned practice groups to understand their practice areas, clients, industries, issues, media, events, competitors, and general marketing-related information.
- Facilitate group strategic marketing planning and implementation, including practice and market analysis, plan development, monitoring activities, and budgeting, and lead related business development initiatives.
- Interface with members of the marketing communications and CRM, finance and library research teams and implement communication plans, events and proposals.
- Undertake business, industry, competitive and competitor intelligence.
- Oversee the development of proposals for assigned groups, including identifying the strategy, collating the information and tracking the results, working with the marketing assistant responsible for proposal development.
- Manage CRM efforts for assigned groups, including planning, researching and activity implementation, and ensuring there is good, comprehensive contact/relationship information for the groups.
- Facilitate cross-selling.
- Gather information on representative work, deals and matters and assist with promoting the information and compiling directory submissions.
- Oversee related events and sponsorships, including identifying and researching leads and facilitating follow up activities.
- Identify and analyze new opportunities to increase visibility for the attorneys in the groups and for the group as a whole.
- Work with other department members on related social media efforts, including research and thought leadership initiatives.
- Coach lawyers in business development and assist with training where relevant.
- Ensure marketing communication materials are accurate for the groups and effective for promoting the area of focus.
- Serve as point person for content development and media relations for practice specific issues and topics.
- Provide focused opportunity identification to facilitate generating ideas and plans. Make introductions with prospective clients where possible.
- A college degree required, MBA preferred.
- 7+ years experience, professional services marketing experience required, law firm experience preferred.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Experience with online and subscriber-based research tools for business development and other marketing information systems such as CRM and ERM systems.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Strategic, yet extremely detail oriented.
- Ability to perform effectively in a fast-paced, service-oriented environment is essential, as is the ability to multi-task and prioritize.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Must be persuasive, positive, and encouraging.
- Proven leader with demonstrated success leading client and business development initiatives.
- Self motivated yet demonstrated ability to work effectively as part of a team.
- Mature, professional demeanor – able to interact with lawyers and staff throughout the firm.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Regular travel among the firm's offices.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Our Firm is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of our Firm to afford fair and equal employment opportunity to all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, disability, military status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
E-Verify for purposes of verifying employment eligibility.
No phone calls, walk-ins, or agencies, please.
We offer excellent salary, benefits, and working environment. To apply, please send confidential resume with cover letter explaining match between your skills and the above job responsibilities, qualifications and education as well as salary requirements to:
Marketing & Business Development Department Manager