D. Erik Albright
Erik Albright's diverse experience with civil litigation has included general tort and insurance coverage matters, commercial litigation, employment covenants and trade secrets, securities litigation, and products liability. He has substantial experience with matters arising in the transportation, restaurant, and sports industries. He also has represented news organizations in multiple media law cases and has defended individuals and corporations in a variety of white collar criminal matters.
In the transportation industry, Mr. Albright has represented numerous trucking companies in catastrophic accident/injury cases, as well as defending motor vehicle manufacturers from various tort and warranty claims. He also has defended several national restaurant chains in matters ranging from alleged food contamination and inadequate security to premises liability. Mr. Albright's representation of clients in the sports industry has included his representation of the Atlantic Coast Conference; professional football, baseball and soccer teams; the local organizers of Greensboro's PGA TOUR golf tournament; a national amateur sports organization; and multiple other sports organizations, insurers, and a water park.
Mr. Albright has appeared in federal and state courts in North Carolina and other states.
J.D., Vanderbilt University Law School, 1990
A.B., Duke University, 1987
- United States Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit, 1996
- North Carolina, 1990
- United States District Court, Middle District of North Carolina, 1991
- United States District Court, Eastern District of North Carolina, 1995
- United States District Court, Western District of North Carolina, 1996
- Adjunct Professor, Wake Forest University School of Law
- Patrick Wilson Scholar, Vanderbilt Law School
- Duke's ACC Scholar - Athlete of the Year, 1987
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, Listed General Litigation (2006-2014)
- Listed, The Best Lawyers in America® (Woodward/White, Inc.), Commercial Litigation (2012-2014), Personal Injury Litigation (2011-2014)
- Business North Carolina's Legal Elite, Litigation (2010, 2011, 2013, 2014)
- Martindale-Hubbell's top ("AV") Peer Review Rating *
* CV, BV, and AV are registered certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedure's standards and policies.
- Active member of the Sports Lawyers Association and DRI's new Sports Law Subcommittee of the Commercial Litigation Committee
- Active member and Vice-Chair for the Commercial Transportation Litigation Committee of the Tort and Insurance Practice Section of the American Bar Association
- Active member of DRI's Trucking Law Committee
Civic and Community Service
- Elder, First Presbyterian Church
- Past Chairman of the Board and past President, Greensboro Sports Council
- Past Executive and Steering Committee Member, Future Fund, Community Foundation of Greater Greensboro
- Past Chair, Tournament Hosts of Greensboro
- Past Board Member, Habitat for Humanity of Greater Greensboro
- Past Rotarian (Paul Harris Fellow)
- "Dangerous Waters: Downstream Uses of a Freelancer's Work", April 26, 2001
Presentations and Speaking Engagements
- "Hot Legal Topics in College Athletics," North Carolina Bar Association, Sports and Entertainment Law Section, Annual Meeting, October 2, 2008
- "Current Issues and Complexities with Collegiate Coaching Contracts", Athletic Leadership Symposium, April 1, 2008