CHARLOTTE, N.C. – Twenty Smith Moore Leatherwood attorneys earned recognition in the 2012 Chambers USA Guide by Chambers and Partners, publisher of the world's leading guides to the legal profession. Smith Moore Leatherwood also received rankings across key practice areas, including recognition in North Carolina and South Carolina for its work in Corporate/Mergers & Acquisitions; Litigation: General Commercial; and Real Estate. Additionally, the firm was recognized in North Carolina for its experience in the following practice areas: Environment; Labor & Employment; and Real Estate: Zoning/Land Use. The firm’s Georgia office received rankings in the Healthcare practice area.
In its 13th year of publication, the Chambers USA Guide is an annual ranking of leading lawyers and law firms in the United States. Results are obtained through hours of research and thousands of interviews with clients and lawyers, with greater weight given to the views of clients. The qualities on which the rankings are assessed include technical legal ability, professional conduct, client service, commercial astuteness, diligence, commitment and other qualities highly valued by clients.
Two attorneys from the firm’s Greensboro office received Chambers' highest ranking, Band 1, for North Carolina lawyers in their respective practice areas for the sixth consecutive year – Charles E. Melvin, Jr., Real Estate: Zoning/Land Use and Stephen W. Earp, Environment. In addition, two attorneys from the firm's Charlotte office, Robert R. Marcus and Jonathan Heyl, made their first appearance on the ranking's list in the Litigation: General Commercial practice area.
Sixteen other Smith Moore Leatherwood attorneys, from the offices in North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia, were recognized in their state and practice area:
- E. Kent Auberry, Corporate/Mergers & Acquisitions, Greensboro, N.C.;
- Brian Byrd, Real Estate, Greensboro, N.C.;
- Alan W. Duncan, Litigation: General Commercial, Greensboro, N.C.;
- Martin N. Erwin, Labor & Employment, Greensboro, N.C.;
- Steven E. Farrar, Litigation: General Commercial, Greenville, S.C.;
- Richard L. Few Jr., Corporate/Mergers & Acquisitions, Greenville, S.C.;
- Michael J. Giese, Litigation: General Commercial, Greenville, S.C.;
- Barry S. Herrin, Healthcare, Atlanta, Ga.;
- Stephen E. Klee, Real Estate, Greensboro, N.C.;
- Ramona Cunningham O'Bryant, Environment, Greensboro, N.C.;
- George J. Oliver, Labor & Employment, Raleigh, N.C.;
- Marvin Quattlebaum, Real Estate, Greenville, S.C.;
- Larry B. Sitton, Litigation: General Commercial, Charlotte, N.C.;
- Julianna C. Theall, Labor & Employment, Greensboro, N.C.;
- Tobin N. Watt, Healthcare, Atlanta, Ga.;
- Fred M. Wood Jr., Litigation: General Commercial, Charlotte, N.C.
For more information about Chambers and Partners research and ranking methodology, visit www.chambersandpartners.com.