CHARLOTTE, N.C. – Smith Moore Leatherwood is pleased to announce that seven of its attorneys have been selected by The Best Lawyers in America as a 2013 "Lawyer of the Year" in their practice areas. The Best Lawyers in America is the oldest and most respected peer-review publication in the legal profession.
Since 2009, Best Lawyers has designated one attorney per practice area in each community as a "Lawyer of the Year." Attorneys recognized with this honor have received exceptionally high ratings from their peers and earned a high level of respect from other prominent attorneys in the same communities and practice areas for their abilities, professionalism and integrity.
The following Smith Moore Leatherwood attorneys have been honored as a 2013 "Lawyer of the Year":
- Brian W. Byrd, Land Use & Zoning Law; Greensboro, N.C.
- William L. Dennis, Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law; Greenville, S.C.
- Stephen W. Earp, Environmental Litigation; Greensboro, N.C.
- Lisa Frye Garrison, Antitrust Law; Greensboro, N.C.
- Jonathan Heyl, Antitrust Litigation; Charlotte, N.C.
- J. Tod Hyche, Tax Law; Greenville, S.C.
- Julianna Cochran Theall, Employment Law – Management; Greensboro, N.C.
"We are honored to have seven Smith Moore Leatherwood attorneys receive ‘Lawyer of the Year' awards in their respective fields," said Rob Marcus, Chair of the firm's Management Committee. "This award is highly regarded and well-respected in the legal profession, and we congratulate these attorneys for their work as leading lawyers in their communities."
Best Lawyers compiles its lists of outstanding attorneys through exhaustive annual peer-review surveys, in which leading lawyers nationwide confidentially evaluate their professional peers. Because of the rigorous and transparent methodology used by the publication, and because lawyers are not required or allowed to pay a fee to be listed, inclusion in Best Lawyers is considered a singular honor.